Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/03/2022

Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)

Chinese woman in the darkest timeline -- running a laundromat, in tax trouble, lots of unfulfilled dreams, silly husband, unhappy daughter, disappointed father -- is contacted by the alphaverse to help save all of existence. 

Starts off with a kind of manic energy applied to the most mundane of situations, which is a difficult vibe to pull off. And, frankly, the film fails in its delivery for more than an hour. It felt like stuff I've seen plenty of times before but without a moment to breathe, which became especially annoying. Basically: I hated it until I started loving it, but that point took so long to get to that I had to dock it a letter grade.

I think that if the initial scenes had been slower, allowing us to understand who these people are in this single universe, the story as a whole would've been better served.

B+

Labels: , , , , , ,