Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/05/2022

Whisky (2005)

Jacobo owns a rundown sock factory, which Marta manages for him. When his rich brother Herman decides to come visit, Jacobo asks Marta to play house with him so that his brother won't know what a sad little life he's living (apparently). During the visit and the subsequent impromptu holiday on the coast, Marta begins to blossom.

I had to infer a lot of meaning here because nothing was spelled out, which is usually alright right with me. But here, I wasn't sure if I was missing nuance since I don't speak the language or if their activities were "normal" for the area, but a lot of the happenings completely confused me.

Overall, I believe this is a story of two people going through the motions -- one by choice and one because she didn't know there was a choice.

B-

Labels: , , ,