Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas City, MO, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/01/2024

Talk to Me (2023)

Teens come into possession of a hand statue that acts as a supercharged ouija board. You hold the hand, say "talk to me" and see a dead person. You can then go a step further and say "I let you in" to allow that person to use your body for 90 seconds -- but you better have your eye on the clock because going over time makes it possible for the spirit to stay.

This was both scary and believable. As a kid, I would've been unable to resist at least attending parties to watch others have this experience (though I doubt I'd have been brave enough to hold the hand myself). Making the lead something of an outcast was an interesting choice. Having worn out her welcome and others' patience definitely made her more needy/susceptible, but I quickly fell in with those who'd had enough of her. 

B-

Labels: , , ,