Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas City, MO, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/06/2024

Matilda: The Musical (2022)

Matilda, a top-notch brain born to parents who simply don't see the point of her, is enrolled in a school run by a headmistress who doesn't see the point of children in general. It's a grey place with punishment around almost every corner, with the exception of Miss Honey, Matilda's sweet-natured teacher.

Truth be told, I've never read Matilda nor have I seen the earlier film, so I have no idea if there's a huge departure from the material. But I can say that the choreography is manic, the songs are unmemorable, and the caricatures of evil adults are so far over the top that there's barely any humanity there. I had a hard time seeing why this is an enduring story.

D+

Labels: , , , , ,