Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas City, MO, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/17/2020

A Handful of Dust (1988)

It took a bit before it got going and then I was still fairly confused about the arrangements... apparently taking a lover was a pretty common occurrence in '30s England? I'm not sure if I've got that right. Despite my ignorance of British society, I wound up invested in the story. I couldn't help but root for Tony, cuckolded for loving his ancestral home and being rather too accommodating. Once he finally stood up for himself and chased an adventure, he landed in even hotter water. 

All that said, the movie still felt stiff and a little flat -- more like a made-for-PBS movie than one that got the full cinematic treatment.

B-

Labels: , , , ,