Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/16/2002

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

I was a little worried at first, thought it might be too quirky for its own good, but it settled…more accurately, refused to settle…and is one of the funniest films I've seen. It’s much like Raising Arizona in its refusal to be standard.

I saw it with my sister who afterward said, "Who wouldn't like this?" At first, I was stumped by the question and then I realized that it's always difficult to fathom someone rejecting entertaining and original material, and yet it happens every day – most of the public seems to gravitate toward that which is big and predictable and just like every other blockbuster. Well this isn't “just like” anything. A few times during the film I had to just succumb to the giggles that had accumulated -- sometimes several minutes after the scene to which the laughter belonged occurred. This film deserves to be seen repeatedly.

A

Labels: , , ,