Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/13/2002

Changing Lanes (2002)

I didn't quite buy the Ben Affleck character…he was so eager to destroy this guy and then do a 180 less than a day later. I've been thinking about Samuel L. Jackson's character and my initial impression that he was just a victim has become less cut and dried. I debated this a bit with a friend afterward – she thought that his retaliatory actions were wholly inappropriate while I felt that he only exacted what was deserved. I think I've changed my mind.

Decency is not optional, no matter who you are or what's been done to you. The film did its job -- I was swept up throughout (until the finale, that is). Everything worked out a little too neatly for both characters and I don't think that serves justice as fittingly as the filmmakers obviously believe it does.

B-

Labels: , , ,