Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/18/2002

Chocolat (1989)

Sleepy film chronicling a short period in the lives of a French colonial family in South Africa. All the true action takes place right beneath what is actually presented on screen -- if you like things to be spelled out for you, skip this film, because it expects you to put in some work in figuring out what is meant and felt. I'm not even sure I've worked out all of the subtext -- but I do know that the houseboy, Protee, was the most mature presence in the film. Despite the fact that he was a servant without the right to shower indoors, he radiated dignity and only broke his calm once – alone. Beautiful work.

B

Labels: , ,