Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/26/2003

The Gift (2000)

Cate Blanchett is truly wonderful in this film. I remember the first time I saw it I was just sucked in and fell for every jump scene and every tantalizing stretch of drawn-out dread. This time around, the mystery seemed a little too simple -- a little too obvious -- but that comes, of course, from knowing who done what. The pervasive creepiness still worked, though. Greg Kinnear also does a nice quiet job -- everyone should be commended for their restrained, believable work here (well - Ribisi might have been able to knock it down a couple notches, but I quibble).

B+

Labels: , , ,