Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/14/2004

Angels in America (2003)

What's all the fuss about? There's just so much here that, when all's said and done, boils down to damn near nothing.

Thompson's angel is kind of irritating and Pacino…well, I don't think Pacino's as good an actor as he once was. I believe I'd even go so far as to accuse him of being a ham. He doesn't only indulge in chewing the scenery, but in nibbling on his co-stars as well. Every time he had a monologue, I almost went to sleep -- the guy's a bore.

Wright, Streep, Shenkman, and Kirk are all amazing in their roles (more than one per customer), but I think the story got more attention for its "gays are people too! But weren't in 1985!" hit-on-the-head-with-a-hammer message than for any real story merit. Iron-Jawed Angels was robbed, I tell you!

C

Labels: , , , , ,