Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/19/2005

Being Julia (2004)

I really didn't want to see this movie. Somewhere along the line I adopted the idea that this was an "aging actress film." I imagined lots of introspection and tears while she slowly realizes she can no longer command the stage as she once did...and must concede starring roles to bimbos while taking supporting "Auntie" parts.

Oh, my. I don't think I could have gotten this movie more wrong if that had been my intent! This was so vibrant and alive and funny and tricky that the entire (packed) audience was just eating it up, me included. When I wasn't laughing, I was grinning or wide-eyed. Bening, you're a goddess!

A

Labels: , , , , ,