Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/20/2005

The Cutting Edge (1992)

Saw this for the second time for a movie club in which I'm involved. I can't believe this is one of the low percentage of movies I've seen more than once.

I cringed at Moira's huffing, I cringed at the mid-'80s-vibe soundtrack (what was music this bad doing in a '90s flick?), and I cringed at the wooden acting. But my biggest irritation was due to the fact that this is a movie against the beautiful backdrop of figure skating...and the actual competition scenes were filmed in such a way that I couldn't even see the moves clearly -- the camera was either tight-focused on the feet, utilizing quick-cuts, or panning so fast and blurrily that I couldn't figure out what was going on. I get it...I'm savvy...they weren't really able to do the stunts, but that's what body doubles are for, man. Give me some pay-off: I sat through the practice footage, now show me the result, dangit!

And what's with the "I did the really dangerous move during competition just because I looooooove you" lesson at the end? It's only true love if I'm willing to risk paralyzation for my man? Again with the cringing.

So, I could tolerate it -- but I can't imagine there will be a third viewing.

C-

Labels: , , ,