Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/23/2006

Junebug (2005)

The most interesting thing about this movie is that there's so much to admire, so much that's good and right, but nothing about it that can truly be called extraordinary.

I'll join the crowd in cheering Amy Adams' performance as a chatterbox sister-in-law -- she's both adorable and heartbreaking. I'm also amazed at the way the situations feel so organic. I know people like this and I've been where I didn't quite "fit" and where no one was altogether hostile, but neither was anyone terribly friendly. I have a husband who loves me but who, in the early years of our marriage, could become a completely different person in the presence of his extended family.

What I'm saying is that I got what was going on and I'm impressed -- but I didn't love the way it all came together and I didn't really understand the motivations of the characters (though we've had some fun guessing, particularly about what was eating younger brother Johnny).

As Gary put it: they weren't different enough to be interesting nor familiar enough to relate to.

B

Labels: , , , ,