Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/28/2006

Munich (2005)

This is not a film I'd probably have chosen to seen if not nominated, but it wound up being much better than I anticipated.

The story is that of an assassination squad dispatched (by Golda Meir herself) to target those behind the massacre of the Israeli Olympic team in 1972. It's not exactly a "motley" crew -- but they're not seasoned, either. They're doing the job because they believe in it. I've heard complaints that what's on-screen is manipulative, and I agree, but I don't really mind that. Go ahead and get my emotions up by putting an adorable child in danger...and by letting me see that it gets the assassins' emotions up as well.

But there's just so many assassinations that the jobs simply become rote. Maybe that's the point -- we're getting jaded just as the killers themselves get jaded -- but the problem, cinematically, is that the intensity disappears. It becomes almost like a big bang blockbuster, rather than the thought-provoking piece I think it's meant to be.

The actors are, across-the-board, fantastic.

B+

Labels: , , , ,