Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/25/2006

Rent (2005)

The best song -- the best scene, really -- comes right at the beginning of the film. The principals are standing abreast on a stage in an empty theater, belting out "Seasons of Love" (525,600 minutes). I got all goosepimply with excitement for the movie to come. But, like I said, the first number is the best the film has to offer. So, dang.

There were some funny moments, some touching scenes, some vibrant dancing -- but all of it felt quite, you know, staged. And, to my ears, Roger's strained rocker voice was the worst in quality, yet he seemed to get more sing time than anyone else.

Most of the songs are worth hearing, though. If I'd fast forwarded through everything else, this might have earned a full letter grade higher.

C

Labels: , , , ,