Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/26/2006

Keane (2005)

Keane grabbed me from the first minutes as a man is questioning customers and employees in a bus station about his missing daughter. He's desperate and angry and frustrated and the documentary feel of the composition added to the mood.

Quickly, though, my sympathy turned to irritation as Keane went on to make a general pest of himself in a few situations. It's quite clear that he's got a tenuous grasp on reality -- and, because the only information we have is what we're seeing -- there's no way to know if the missing daughter is even real, which made me feel as though I were stuck in the character's nightmare. I believed this guy. Great acting.

Things get considerably less tedious once Keane befriends a single mother and her young daughter who are living in the same by-the-week motel as he. The relationship he forges with the young girl (Abigail Breslin -- adorable) is both touching and tense.

B-

Labels: , , , ,