Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/17/2006

Separate Lies (2005)

The movie opens with an accident -- an event that throws a wrench into a quietly functional, upper-crust, British marriage.

We then backtrack a little (though this was unclear and, frankly, confusing) and we see what life was like before the accident. It's kinda dutiful and somewhat boring, but certainly not unbearable. Then the accident occurs and we, along with the husband, find out that the life he thought he had was illusory.

The acting is exemplary and the story itself is my cup of tea -- I love a good moral dilemma. But there was something false about it all. I didn't believe in the choices that the wife made post-accident, nor did I understand the husband's response to them. Also, the jumps in time kept me off-balance. I never knew exactly how long it'd been since the last sequence.

Still, I thought about the unmistakable truth in a couple of scenes for several days. Even though it didn't entirely work, it's worthwhile.

B

Labels: , , , ,