Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/25/2006

The Skeleton Key (2005)

I watched this in the wee hours of the morning, during a freaky lightning storm, with my two children vomiting tag-team style down the hall. I'd watch for ten minutes then go check on them - wiping mouths, exchanging bowls, gauging temperatures - and then return to the film for another piece of the story. I explain the situation because I think it has to do with how effective I found the movie to be.

Kate Hudson's a caregiver sick of her depressing nursing home job who takes a high-paying in-home position in the Louisiana Bayou caring for an apparent stroke victim. She becomes convinced that stroke is not to blame for his condition but, rather, "Hoodoo" - a magic that can only work on those who believe in it. I was drawn in to the increasing nervousness of the heroine. Basically, I believed -- and, like hoodoo, I think that's why it worked on me. Plus Peter Sarsgaard's in it and I kinda have a crush on him.

B

Labels: , , , ,