Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/07/2006

Loggerheads (2005)

The story unfolds in three different places and times -- though I misunderstood the time aspect at first. Each story STAYS in its own time, though I at first assumed it was a "one year later, for everyone" type of deal. The confusion would have been fairly easy to fix if the fimmakers had chosen to introduce the characters in a non-sequential time order OR if they'd simply shown the title cards once more for each storyline.

Anyway. This unremarkable movie (based on true events) moves extremely slowly. There's just not near enough story to fill the minutes -- despite the fact that we've got three different groups on whom to focus and only 95 minutes to fill. The acting isn't bad (Bonnie Hunt is downright brilliant), but if the script's not there, what's the point?

Also - I don't know if my DVD (from Netflix) was simply defective, but the picture was elongated and it made me a bit motion-sick to watch it. It looked as though a widescreen presentation had simply been stretched vertically to fit the television.

C

Labels: , ,