Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/30/2006

My Cousin Rachel (1952)

Nice, creepy vibe in which I was nervous for the lead and confused about how someone can be so suspicious and blind at the same time. I liked the ambiguity, though I wound up feeling slightly manipulated that a major string didn't get fully tied off. There's a big lie that turns out to be harmless -- or was it?? I like a bit of something to chew on after the credits roll, but I don't enjoy feeling as though information I've been given means the story can't make sense.

Reminded me of "Rebecca" -- as well it should, since the two stories share an author. Simply couldn't measure up to that marvel of storytelling, but I still think it's well worth watching. Richard Burton is so impossibly young here!

B

Labels: , , , , ,