Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/15/2006

White Skin (2006)

I knew absolutely nothing about the movie, but TiVo recommended it off of Starz and who am I to quibble with an electronic brain?

I was caught off guard here. Although this movie has some racism, some sex, and some gore -- all elements are handled in such a natural way that it doesn't feel in the least bit exploitative. It was, in turns, a story about friendship; that first, crazy love that makes you lose track of time and everything else; the threat of loss; and true fear.

Had I been told in advance what was simmering below the surface, I might not have bothered watching. I've become jaded -- e.g.: I know that most action movies are mindless, horror movies are gratuitously bloody, etc. This one feels bigger than any one genre and doesn't ever go for the stereotype.

What a happy surprise. I love my TiVo.

A-

Labels: , , , , ,