Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/28/2006

Cape of Good Hope (2005)

This movie reminded me somewhat of Everybody Loves Raymond. I've never been a faithful watcher of the show -- but if I'm not doing anything and nothing else is on, it's easy to watch, even if I tune in halfway through. The characters are familiar, the plots predictable, and the acting serviceable. But there's something about the show...something heartwarming, something that makes me wish all of the fictional Barones well.

This is a snapshot of several lives -- most of which intertwine at a local animal shelter. There's the distrustful single woman with daddy issues who's having an affair with a married ass, the wife longing for a child, the noble foreigner, a young rascal and his mother, and a shy veterinarian.

It's neither as messy nor deep as it wants to be, but it works. I just really liked these people and wanted things to work out well for them. Of course, with a script like this, the outcome wasn't ever really in question...

B

Labels: , , , ,