Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/18/2006

Sorry, Haters (2006)

I've read a few reviews of this film and I've yet to find any that bother keeping a certain piece of the film a secret -- an element that I believe would be film-ruining to have even a whiff of beforehand.

"Philly" (Robin Wright Penn), reeling from an ugly divorce, jumps in a cab one night and becomes entangled in the life of her Arab driver. There was a strong sense of foreboding from very early on, but I had no idea what to expect at almost any point during the film. I wasn't sure whether pity, fear, or anger was in order -- or whom, really, should be on the receiving end of my feelings.

This is definitely a difficult film -- it's upsetting and undeniably offensive. It's also amazing to watch such a talented actress completely throw herself into a role so unbelievable as Wright Penn does and somehow sell it. She made me believe that this wild fiction could actually exist somewhere in reality.

I'm not sorry I saw this, but I truly can't think of a single person to whom I could recommend it. Perhaps that's why no other reviewers are keeping any secrets! They don't think anyone's gonna actually see it!

B

Labels: , , ,