Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/21/2007

Dreamgirls (2006)

It's big and glitzy and the musical numbers are outstanding, but for all of the drama, there's no emotional connection. Eddie Murphy as James Thunder Early comes the closest to being real -- his later scenes in particular work quite well. But just about everything else feels like connective tissue between musical numbers. Even Jennifer Hudson's big "I am Telling You" scene seemed to be delivered in a vacuum, and that song generally makes me tear up without any visual accompaniment. Yes, the girl has a big voice, but she's got no depth as an actress.

Bottom line is that it felt bloated and cheesy, like it still belonged on Broadway. Since, for me, the most memorable thing about the film was the closing credits, I have to call this a miss.

C+

Labels: , , , ,