Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/25/2007

The Dead Girl (2006)

Had the same vibe as Personal Velocity -- you know, the "here's several vignettes of women in transition: watch! be moved!" vibe. The changes in the lives of these women are all spurred by the the discovery of the title character's body . There are five chapters to this story: "The Stranger" (Toni Collette, who discovers the body), "The Sister" (Rose Byrne, whose standard blank-faced acting for once serves the story), "The Wife" (an incredible Mary Beth Hurt), "The Mother" (a heartbreaking Marcia Gay Harden), and "The Dead Girl" (a kind of annoying Brittany Murphy).

I've heard complaints that Murphy's character is the weakest link and, while I agree, I don't think that really matters. See, the story isn't about her -- it's about the way that one person's tiny life can touch so many others; how people who otherwise have no connection whatsoever can be changed forever because someone else made an appearance in their lives.

I wouldn't say that the movie is an out-and-out success, but I liked the idea of it and it stayed with me for several days.

B

Labels: , , , ,