Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/18/2007

Lucky Number Slevin (2006)

I knew from the get-go that this was gonna be one of those movies...twists and turns and doublecrosses -- feeling like a puzzle to be solved, while refusing to provide the necessary pieces to even have a prayer of correctly solving the puzzle before the filmmakers pull the answer out of thin air and shove it in my face. I hate those kinds of movies because knowing that information is being withheld or that I'm being purposely led astray generally pisses me off.

So I have no idea why this movie didn't make me want to throw something at the TV screen. I guessed wrong at every turn, but I still liked it -- probably way more than it deserves to be liked. A couple of factors that probably helped: Lucy Liu and Josh Hartnett make an impossibly adorable couple and the story had just enough ridiculousness in it to make me smile rather than take it too seriously.

B

Labels: , , , , ,