Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/03/2007

Lord of War (2005)

I don't know why in the world I keep thinking that Nicolas Cage's name on a movie means it's likely to be good. Is it the Moonstruck effect? That because I loved him the first time I saw him, he will forever hold a place in my heart?

I do truly believe that Cage is one of the most talented actors of the current era. I mean -- the dude rocks it in off-the-wall silliness, is surprisingly effective in romances, can amaze me in serious fare, and even makes some terrific popcorn flicks. Since he's got no genre limitations, you'd think he'd have a better-than-average chance at always having a decent script waiting for him. But no -- about three-fifths of his stuff is junk and I feel betrayed whenever I'm suckered in to watching another Cage stinker.

This one certainly sounded better than average. Gary and I sat down to watch it and were paying strict attention to voice-over, not wanting to miss a bit of nuance. We absorbed the lectures and the images, sure that doing so would pay off in later scenes. About an hour in, Gary said "are you as bored as I am?" and then abandoned me on the couch to go do something more enjoyable -- I think he clipped his toenails and drew up the budget.

D

Labels: , , , ,