Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/30/2007

Pride (2007)

First -- I support the message here: that everyone deserves the chance and resources necessary in order to succeed. I mean, who the heck doesn't? I'm interested in the based-on-a-true story, too: guy believes in a group of underprivileged kids when everyone else, including the kids themselves, has given up.

There couldn't have been any doubt in the filmmakers' minds that the audience would be sympathetic to the message, so I can't understand who in the world thought they'd have to hit us over the head repeatedly with it. Just tell us the story...we already understand the lesson.

It goes for the obvious at every turn and the acting was seriously stilted. I kept thinking that Terrence Howard sounded as though he was doing Eddie Murphy's white man impression, but when I actually viewed the clip for the first time in a decade -- it was obvious that Howard sounded even more uptight and white than Murphy.

D+

Labels: , ,