Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/27/2007

Waitress (2007)

I'm a huge Firefly fan. I think it's possible that I'm an even bigger Felicity fan. And Six Feet Under? Only the most amazing show ever to be on my television screen -- I played that final scene about 180 times and cried through each one (and I'm actually kind of tearing up just thinking about it now). I explain this so that everyone understands that Nathan Fillion is a god to me, Keri Russell can do no wrong in my eyes, and the presence of Jeremy Sisto even forced me to watch "Kidnapped" during its short run this past fall.

I'm sad that I don't love this movie. Truth be told, I'm kind of shocked that I don't love this movie. But, despite my predisposition to support everything these people do, I just thought this was a misfire. The funny stuff felt obvious, the casting of Andy Griffith as a randy rascal felt engineered to jaw-drop, and the story was just kinda "whatever." I didn't leave satisfied and I couldn't help but wonder if the director hadn't been murdered pre-release whether this movie would have been a lot less well-received. The awful thing is that I feel like it's somehow WRONG for me to voice that question...like I should just keep my mouth shut and keep the applause going because, you know, the woman died, for crying out loud.

C+

Labels: , , , ,