Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/05/2007

Friends With Money (2006)

Although the movie is set in an environment in which I'd be unable to exist (moneyed California suburbia), the emotions are still relatable. I'm a fan of the writer/director Nicole Holofcener's Walking and Talking, and this has the same type of vibe. I may not be in the same circumstances as the characters, but it's impossible not to understand them as they are brilliantly written and matched so well with capable actors.

I'm not even sure if there's a main story here... A group of four friends (three married, one single; three never-have-to-worry-about-money wealthy, one broke) move through a couple of months or so. We see them together and in their private family moments -- and I could see my relationship with my husband in every single one of the marriages. Sometimes that can be uncomfortable, but here it just felt completely right.

Good stuff.

A-

Labels: , , , ,