Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/29/2007

Look Both Ways (2006)

I loved this movie -- maybe because I feel such a kinship with Meryl, the protagonist. She's smart, kind of rumply, and burdened with a vivid imagination that is often busy manufacturing graphic ways in which things can go violently wrong (shown to us in animated interludes). I'm also a sucker for a good love story and while the romance at the center of this movie doesn't exactly make me swoon, it is satisfying -- maybe because I wasn't sure it should work and, therefore, whether the movie would let it work.

There's a lot going on here, not the least of which is an emotional subplot involving an accidental death on the local train tracks. It's beautiful and effective.

A-

Labels: , , , ,