Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/10/2007

A Walk in the Sun (1945)

"It's a walk that leads down through a Philippine town and it hits Highway seven North of Rome..." That's an actual lyric from one of the many ballads on the movie's soundtrack. The words were so ridiculously specific that they were pretty hysterical.

The movie was stuffed with blandly delivered and unbelievable dialogue along the lines of "what are you thinking about?" "An apple." "An apple? They're pretty good." "Yep, an apple. And I don't even really like apples." "You don't like apples?" Arrrgh. I mean, are these supposed to be men taking part in a terrifying war or a '50s instructional film on polite conversational topics suitable for a quilting bee?

While watching this, bored out of my mind, I got in the mood to watch a more authentic take on the hardships of WWII -- so my son and I pulled out Saving Private Ryan. If this movie was unbearable before, finishing it up after viewing SPR made everything seem even more amateur.

D+

Labels: , , ,