Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/11/2008

The Sterile Cuckoo (1969)

Liza Minelli plays Pookie, a motormouthed social outcast who sets her sights on Jerry, a quiet boy from a neighboring college. Although he's not much interested, her persistence finally wears him down and their ensuing relationship makes up the rest of the film.

Pookie's a pathetic character -- wearing her wackiness like a costume to disguise the fact that she doesn't fit in anywhere -- and while I found her insufferable, it's hard to fault the film for it because I remember college pretty clearly.

The ring of truth doesn't make up for the fact that I didn't care about either of the leads, however.

C+

Labels: , , , , ,