Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/03/2008

The Orphanage (2007)

Most of the film was atmospheric and genuinely scary. I really liked the way that the skeptics of the main character's beliefs were able to listen -- behaving reasonably -- rather than to just serve as naysayers getting in the way of the truth.

For me, though, I think the movie should have ended once we found out exactly what happened (which is awesome, by the way). The denouement nearly wrecks everything...story circles and roses on graves are unnecessary. My imagined ending was much more effective, as I'm sure most engaged viewers' would have been.

B+

Labels: , , , ,