Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/27/2008

The Whisperers (1967)

Man oh man did I hate this movie. Admitting this makes me feel a bit ashamed because most of the articles I've read about it (the ones that prompted me to TiVo the TCM broadcast) praise it as a clear-eyed view of the working-class elderly being discarded to fend for themselves. Does my reaction mean that I don't care because this story left me cold? Of course I'm going to be on my own side: so, no!

Everyone in this story is so aggressively unlikable (with one bland exception), including the edging-into-insanity main character, that I just hated my time watching. I know that it shouldn't matter: right is right for everyone blah blah blah -- but this is a movie, not a documentary. Give me someone to care about or I'm just going to be waiting for the credits.

D+

Labels: , , ,