Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/27/2008

The Band's Visit (2007)

As the film begins, we read an on-screen message: "Once - not long ago - a small Egyptian police band arrived in Israel. Not many remember this...It wasn't important." Turns out that should have been labeled "spoiler alert" and I should have heeded the warning.

The movie is so gentle -- so deliberately gentle -- that its effect is almost nil. Yes, I can read a lot into the barely-there longing in the conductor's eyes, but it seems less than fair that I should be expected to put more work into finding meaning in the images than the filmmakers did.

C-

Labels: , , ,