Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/26/2009

Ghost Town (2008)

I watched this twice in two days -- it's charming as can be.

I'm actually confused as to why this failed to find an audience. Could it be that "dead people have unfinished business" is too familiar a plot device? Did the argument "but we can watch Ghost Whisperer for free" pop up in movie-going debates a few too many times for this to catch on? Whatever the reason, it's a shame that this touching and truly funny film hasn't been seen by more people. Gervais is understated as a loner who's suddenly got way too much company and Leoni is as lovely as always -- I doubt there's a heterosexual guy who wouldn't want her by his side.

Sits up there with Notting Hill as one of my favorite romantic comedies of the modern era.

A

Labels: , , , ,