Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/10/2009

I Love You, Man (2009)

I'm a little scared that I've outgrown these kinds of movies...I didn't die laughing at this or others like it (e.g. Knocked Up and Forgetting Sarah Marshall). Part of the problem, I think, is that I need to believe what's going on and I just couldn't get on board with the idea that these two guys, even in fictionville, would ever come to call the other "best friend." It seems as though a love of Rush is their only true common ground. Other than that, they're nothing alike: one's a slob with the same taste in decorating and activities as a college frat boy and the other's kind of uptight and shy, but genuinely decent. Yes, I get that the novelty would make their get-togethers revelatory -- but, certainly, it would wear off in the space of a month or so.

Due to the amazing Rudd taking the lead, this is pretty enjoyable, but it still somehow felt like a letdown -- as though I'd been promised a better time than I actually got. Definitely a fun premise and game performances, but it just didn't hold up. The final wedding scene, in particular, felt like a sitcom wrap-up.

C+

Labels: , , ,