Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/08/2009

Last Chance Harvey (2008)

Some sweet moments, but the ending was so clichéd that it left me feeling rather deflated.

Basically, it's done pretty well, but I'm sure I've seen this about a zillion times before, just with 20-somethings rather than 50-somethings in the lead roles. Yes, I prefer discovering what these veterans can do with material over, say, what Megan Fox could muster, but better actors can only accomplish so much with tired material.

The most touching scenes were two in which the leads struggled with being unwanted and out-of-place (she on a blind date and he at his daughter's rehearsal dinner) -- episodes that came before they "found" each other.

C+

Labels: , , ,