Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/09/2009

Sunshine (2007)

Set 50 years in the future, our sun is dying and the small crew of Icarus II is on its way to nuke it to wake it back up. That's a frightening enough task on its own, but the stress is ratcheted up a bit by the fact that Icarus I attempted the same thing and hadn't been heard from in seven years.

The film is great to look at, but I appreciated the restraint of story even more than the visuals. This group of people is comprised of adults: sure, they get annoyed with each other and argue, but it's more to do with the close quarters and the stress of the mission than pure pettiness. The disagreements center on the best way to accomplish the job they've all signed on for.

My one complaint is that the last act got super confusing. I often couldn't tell exactly what was going on. Since the film was so compelling to this point, I was rather disappointed to be left with a sense of "what's happening" -- probably because I really cared about what was happening.

B

Labels: , , ,