Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/04/2009

Downhill Racer (1969)

Where did I get the idea that this movie was any good? It's one of those films I've actively wanted to see for at least a decade but, now that I have, I have no clue as to what got me interested.

Robert Redford plays an Olympic hopeful in speed skiing. He's full of umbrage and complaints when he doesn't get his way and full of excuses when he doesn't do well. Yes, he's talented but he's also a pain in the ass.

As for the story? Well, there's barely one to be found. It's more a series of scenes in chronological order with "the end" when it's time to stop watching than an arc. Much was left to the viewer to figure out -- something I don't usually mind -- but here just felt lazy (perhaps because I didn't care enough to want to work for it). In short: yawn.

D+

Labels: , ,