Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/22/2009

(500) Days of Summer (2009)

I hate to be such a chick, but this movie really did it for me. From the early voice-over telling us that we needed to know, upfront, that this is not a love story and explained to us how Summer (the girl in this "boy meets girl" tale) loved two things: her hair and how she could cut it off without feeling a thing, I was hooked. I mean how MARVELOUS is that hair thing? And, while I'm on the subject of marvelous, don't you just love Joseph Gordon-Levitt?

Despite all my mushy feelings about this movie (oh -- but just one more thing before I move on to its debits -- there's a split-screen scene showing, on one side, the expectation of an evening and the reality of that evening...just genius), there were two glaring pieces that annoyed the hell out of me.

Number 1: the "wise beyond her years" younger sister of the "boy." Oh, she was annoying and unrealistic and blech.

Number 2: "I'm Autumn." Ugh.

A-

Labels: , , , ,