Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/25/2010

La Mission (2010)

I don't want to be hard on this movie because there's a lot of good stuff going on here. Benjamin Bratt is an ex-con, ex-drunk living strong now with his honor roll teenage son. When he finds out that his terrific kid is gay, he handles it (predictably) poorly. The movie deals with the process of changing your views and acceptance...and backsliding into old ways, which was a portion of the story that I particularly appreciated.

Still, it's almost too small in scope -- too focused to be applicable. Also, the neighborhood Aztec stuff, though interesting in the "I don't know anything about that culture" kind of way, was distracting and a little weird.

B-

Labels: , ,