Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/10/2011

Rabbit Hole (2010)

I know that the death of a child can be hell for a couple -- but I wondered if the couple at the center of this movie might have been in hell even before they lost their young son when he ran out into the street. It's hard to imagine Nicole Kidman's character, Becca, ever having been anything other than repressed and, even as I say that, I know it's not exactly fair. People deal with grief in different ways yada yada, but I couldn't get any empathy going for her or her similarly bland husband.

The only times that the movie really became worth watching was in the scenes with the teen driver who hit the boy. That kid was brilliant and, even though he seemed to have been deeply affected by the accident, he also seemed to be alive...as though he was incorporating the pain into himself rather than either ignoring or letting it take over completely.

It's not bad, but the couple was just too generically sad.

C

Labels: , , ,