Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/27/2011

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2010)

I read the book and it was wretched. The film only improves on the source material by removing Blomkvist's bed-hopping and a lot of meaningless details (sandwiches? again??), and by giving us a glimpse -- although it comes rather late -- of how Lisbeth became dysfunctional. The movie was also surprisingly nudity-light for such explicit subject matter including bondage, rape, torture, and murder.

Still, there's no two ways about it: this is a distasteful story with an unrepentantly unlikable heroine. I don't know that I can heap kudos on it for simply improving on such a crappy book. I mean, it still pretty much sucks.

D+

Labels: , , , , ,