Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/10/2011

Pulp Fiction (1994)

When this movie came out, I became a little missionary for it -- dragging friends and (in a couple of instances) bare acquaintances to see it. It shocked me in the best of ways. It was, quite simply, the most exciting thing I'd ever seen in a theater. When Forrest Gump took the Oscar, my faith in Hollywood was tested for the first time (hey -- I was young).

So, by now, I've seen it at least 7 times...I'd guess it as closer to 11 though. I showed it to my younger son and, while he liked it, he was not wowed. I had to point out all of the stuff that he'd "seen before" started right here in Tarantino's masterpiece, a label I truly believe it deserves. Yeah, there are a couple of sequences that feel slower than I remember them (Marsellus lecturing Butch in the bar & Walken's very funny but too long monologue regarding the very uncomfortable piece of metal) but it still works wonderfully.

The cast is perfect. The dialogue is still wonderful. It's earned its place as a touchstone of cinema.

A

Labels: , , , , , ,