Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/10/2011

Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work (2010)

Celebrities -- and, more specifically, comedians -- are a different breed. They are driven and desperate while being both tough and sensitive. I don’t envy them one little bit.

Although I've been a fan of Rivers for a long time, mostly for her honesty on her short-lived talk show and her willingness to "go there" when interviewing award-show-goers on the red carpet, I discovered during this film that I simply don’t find her stand-up very funny. I think she relies more on shock and ribaldry than cleverness -- but I’m still rooting for her.

This was a fascinating peek behind the curtain at a woman who will never stop working -- and she works hard -- because she'll never stop craving attention and acceptance. It's hard to know whether to admire or pity her.

B

Labels: , , , ,