Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/22/2012

It's Kind of a Funny Story (2010)

Kind of a younger cousin to Beginners -- the stories are nothing alike, but the storytelling is quite similar.  When the main character goes into voice-over, there are a lot of visual aids; there were actually a few things that were nearly identical in the films (this is what it looks like when she cries/this is me telling her how beautiful I think she is).  I like that kind of thing a lot.

But Beginners did it better -- possibly because it felt like a little less was at stake: a teenager being stressed out vs. a man and his gay father both confronting years of being careful rather than happy.  But I liked it regardless.  There was a bit of "Takin' Over the Asylum" style wackiness as our hero checks himself into a mental ward and engages with the residents.  Though I've seen this type of thing many times, it thankfully didn't veer into caricature.

B

Labels: , , , ,