Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/13/2012

Moneyball (2011)

I don't follow -- or even care about -- baseball, but this movie was fascinating.

Pitt plays real-life Billy Beane, manager of the Oakland As, trying to build a team with a fraction of the cash that other teams have.  With the help of a college grad packing an algorithm, he focuses on hiring the, surprisingly affordable, guys who get on base rather than the guys who are hot commodities or ticket sellers.  Smart.  I liked it.

Reminded me a bit of The Damned United in that I didn't know a fig about soccer when I saw that film, but it made the business of the game fascinating.  Also, knowing nothing at all about the sport meant that I got the added bonus of being truly surprised by the outcome of each big game!

B+

Labels: , , ,