Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/22/2013

Ruby Sparks (2012)

I wasn’t sure what to make of this “I wrote a girl and she appeared” premise.  It seemed to go pretty much just like you’d imagine that premise would go. But then (and maybe I was just tired or trying too hard to "get it") the story somehow morphed into a meditation on the nature of God.  I'm aware that it's a little much to have been intended -- that I’m the one probably seeing something that isn't actually there -- but still.

The author creates someone to his specifications but that person is unaware she’s got an author.  He’s sad when his creation does things to hurt him, but even sadder when he "fixes" her through his writing because then her actions are his rather than hers.  When faced with incontrovertible proof that she’s his creation, she gets angry and scared... See? Maybe I’m just forcing depth onto this movie, but doing so made me like it more than I would’ve if all there is to it is what’s on the obvious surface.

B

Labels: , , , ,